Installing HP Laser Jet 1010 on SuSE Linux 10.2 seems quite easy, and should be with another distro. If you have no driver from the CD, you may download hpijs driver from this link.
For basic printing functionality use the HPIJS driver . For advanced functionality such as printer status and maintenance features, use the HPLIP driver (which includes HPIJS).
With hpijs 0.9.x HP introduces support for FastRaster products on Linux! There is a 600x1200 path that we can not support due to IP issues, but other than the one print mode, as of the release of hpijs 0.9.x, the HP LaserJet 1010 is now supported.
Cheap, compact desktop laser printer, foldable tray for 150 sheets, A4/Letter/Legal, up to 12 pages/min.
HP classifies this printer as "host-based" whereas they claim the HP LaserJet 1015 to understand PCL 5e. But the HP LaserJet 1010 and 1012 seem to understand a stripped-down (raster-graphics only, no text) variant of PCL 5e.
With Gnome, you may installing this driver from Control Center.
1. Download HP Laser Jet 1010 from this link or from this mirror. Save the downloaded driver to your internal folder.
2. Click START Menu, navigate to Control Center
3. Click Hardware | Printers 4. Double click at New Printer or Right Click | Add
5. Use appropriate choice about your printer (local or network printing).
6. If you have no existing driver on your Linux box, click New Driver and navigate to driver location (see step 1)
7. Click Apply
For advanced functionality printing result, you may try another driver from http://hplip.sourceforge.net/
< Strategi Implementasi Linux pada Perusahaan / Lembaga / Instansi | SuSE 10.2 : Installing MySQL Database Server >